Lynn from Lynn’s Book Blog has tagged me in a game of literary tag so I have to reply (because I’m competitive like that). Take a gander at my answers.
1. If you had the power to ban a certain book, or certain kinds of books, however productive the outcome may be (think Twilight or Oliver’s Story), even if you knew a huge majority of readers might thank you for it, would you?
No… I’m not one for censorship. That said I wouldn’t mind getting rid of awful zombie fiction. Day by Day Apocalypse/Prey are two titles I gave up reading due to the fact I found them dull (that was their chief crime anyway).
2. What is one book you wish you had written?
After Dark by Haruki Murakami. It mixes the everyday with cool characters, history, a dose of horror and surrealism and it seems so effortless. I wish I could do something like that.
3. You have finally achieved world domination and as new king/queen of the world, you need to fashion yourself a crown. But of course, you’re too cool for precious metals and the like. What would your crown be/be made of?
Since I have to wear this I guess I would go with something soft like silk. It would be floppy and light.
4. Have you ever wondered how a doggie biscuit tastes and wanted to try?
No. No I have not.
5. Is there a book that you weren’t able to complete for whatever reason, but lied about it and told people you did? Which one?
I have done it a few times in the past – Charles Dickens’s Pickwick Papers… – but these days I’ll just be honest and say I haven’t finished a book.
6. Your choice of instant pick-me-up food?
Toast. The description of toast in Kenneth Grahame’s The Wind in the Willows won me over to toast. That said I quite like it burnt and hard. Hard enough to kill…
7. If there was an appendage you could add to the human anatomy (wings, talons, a tail…), what would it be?
Lynn’s got the right idea – wings. I’d use them to avoid awkward and deadly situations. I also live in a hilly area so the vertical lift would go a long way!
8. If you could go back in time and stop a famous event from taking place, what would it be and why?
I would teleport in to the moment that the Archduke Franz Ferdinand was about to be assassinated and take out his assailant. I would be interested in seeing how the world develops after this…
9,10,11. All the book characters you’ve ever loved are people in your immediate friend circle. Who would you turn to:
a) to make a bucket list with you and go all over the world fulfilling each item on the list?
Tengo from Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84. He’s intelligent, tough, logical, and we could talk books and he could keep me focussed on this bucket list.
b) to plonk down next to you on that patch of moon land you guys bought, feel awesome, and somehow keep each other from dying of boredom until the next space shuttle comes to pick you up?
If I’m going to be stranded with someone on the moon it might as well be someone I’ll enjoy looking at and has practical skills whilst not being so superhuman as to make me feel useless… Noa Izumi – beautiful, charismatic, and cute! I think we’d get along famously. Or at least I think we would because we seem to have similar mornings…
c) when the world thinks you’re responsible for the attack on the entire human race by some random scary evil alien monsters and you are the only one who knows what they want but nobody will listen to you and you need somebody to help you save the world?
Zoichi Kanoe from Biomega. This guy is almost unstoppable and he comes with the coolest AI and bike in sci-fi history. He makes Master Chief, the Terminator, and Robocop look like big girls blouses. Zoichi’s AI Fuyu can assess all of the situations and he can do all of the hard stuff like punching aliens through walls. I’ll just ride pillion and provide all of the sidekick humour while he zips about blowing zombie/alien/biomechanical nightmare monster brains out of heads and we zip around exploding space ships and across the solar system to overwrought thrash metal. After the world is saved Fuyu can just explain what happened to the world. THIS STUFF ACTUALLY HAPPENS AND IT IS COOL! 😛